Claims process now available: general damages compensation

If you are an eligible former employee, the legal representative of a former eligible employee or if you represent the estate of a deceased eligible employee, you can submit a claim for general damages compensation. You will receive any amounts you are entitled to as a single payment. This amount could include a catch-up payment. Catch-up payments provide those eligible under the 2019 damages agreement with the same monetary benefits as those contained in the 2020 damages agreement with the Public Service Alliance of Canada.

General damages payments could include compensation:

  • equivalent to the additional leave (up to 5 days) granted to current employees
  • that is equal to the difference between $300 and the rate of pay of your former substantive position in Phoenix on the date your claim is processed
    • you will only receive a payment if the difference is more than $10
  • up to $1,000 for the late implementation of the 2014 collective agreements (excludes executives and unrepresented employees)

If you were on strength1 at least one day in each of the fiscal years covered by the 2019 Phoenix damages agreement, you can request a payment equivalent to:

  • 2 days of leave for fiscal year 2016–17
  • 1 day of leave for fiscal year 2017–18
  • 1 day of leave for fiscal year 2018–19
  • 1 day of leave for fiscal year 2019–20

Payments will cover the period of the agreements (April 1, 2016 to March 31, 2020).

Payments for the late implementation of the 2014 collective agreements are allocated by fiscal year:

  • $400 for fiscal year 2016–17
  • $200 for fiscal year 2017–18
  • $200 for fiscal year 2018–19
  • $200 for fiscal year 2019–20

Changes to your work situation, bargaining agent representation and/or your rate of pay that occurred between 2016 and 2020 could impact your payment.

Submit a claim


  • your payment in lieu of leave credits and any catch-up amounts will be calculated using the last rate of pay shown in the Phoenix pay system at the time your claim is processed
    • if you have any outstanding pay increases that are owed to you, you can submit a claim now, or you have the option to wait until the increases have been processed in Phoenix and paid out before submitting your claim. There is currently no time limit for submitting claims.
  • you will need your Personal Record Identifier (PRI) to submit a claim online
    • your PRI is available on your pay stub and on your Pension and Insurance Benefits Statement
  • you will receive your payment through direct deposit

File a claim online

To submit your claim online, you must know your Personal Record Identifier (PRI) and have a personal email account:

File a claim by mail

If you don’t recall your PRI or don’t have a personal email account, or if you are the legal representative of a former or deceased employee or have an international mailing address, complete the PDF form and follow the instructions.

Privacy notice statement

After you submit a claim

Check the status of your claim.

You will receive a breakdown of your payment once your claim has been evaluated.

Note: If you are making an enquiry via email, please include a phone number so that we can reach you in case we need more information. Please do not include protected information, such as your date of birth or social insurance number (SIN).

We may contact you by email to get more information either to start or continue processing your claim, or to ask for more documents. We will always reference your claim number when we do.

For information on how to protect your personal information, please visit the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.

Please note that general compensation payments for damages are:

  • subject to overpayment recoveries
    • The Government of Canada has the authority to recover an overpayment of salary or wages. These amounts are generally recovered from first available funds, which could include damages payments.
  • taxable
    • You will receive a tax slip from the Government of Canada in February of the following year to submit with your income tax return.

Related links